Gilford, NH asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for New Hampshire

Q: What can I report a town resident for going through a "road closed" sign?

I work for a town municipal department in New Hampshire and we're (public works dept.) having trouble with some residents going through our road closed sign. Our signs are properly placed out from another. We have a "road closed ahead" at each entrance into the road and our "road closed" sign along with cones before our work zone.

Some days they'll just go through the cones and fly through the work zone and other days they'll throw our cones and signs into the woods. Our PD hasn't been that big of a help and a few officers outside of the department I know personally said there's nothing that's really illegal they're doing.

I find this hard to believe hence why I'm here. I'm hoping to find better answers than that because it's turning into a dangerous work zone not only for my coworkers but the residents flying through the work zone with heavy equipment operating.

Also I'd like to lastly add we let the PD dispatcher know the road is closed before working.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lebanon, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Thanks for posting your question. I represent only folks charged with a crime so I would do not actually bring any charges. However, in the past I have represented citizens that have been charged for entering a closed road with various violations.

I would think that your local PD would be able issue tickets based the conduct you described for the following offenses: reckless conduct, reckless driving, negligent driving, criminal trespass, criminal mischief and disobeying traffic control device.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.