Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Municipal Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
New Hampshire Municipal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for New Hampshire on
Q: A Massachusetts LLC that is not registered as a foreign corp. in New Hampshire has purchased land in NH

Should the local planning board accept his application? There is a Planning Board meeting tonight an I will be raising this issue and would like to know if the local government board should be considering this application where NH Law requires that foreign corporations register with the Secretary... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 27, 2024

If a Massachusetts LLC, which has not registered as a foreign corporation in New Hampshire, has purchased land in NH, the question of whether the local planning board should accept its application is nuanced. Under New Hampshire law, foreign corporations (which include LLCs formed in other states)... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for New Hampshire on
Q: can a police officer run my name through DMV RECORDS without a violation or traffic stop just to see if i have a license

if a police officer drives by me and i have had no police contact or reason for my information to be searchd online, did not break and traffic laws to warrant a stop, was not infact even pulled over for anything, can he just plug my name in the nh dmv database to see if i have a valid drivers... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 11, 2023

Law enforcement officers generally have broad authority to access DMV records, which includes license status information. This access, however, should be exercised for legitimate law enforcement purposes and not on a whim or for personal reasons. If you believe your rights have been violated, you... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law and Public Benefits for New Hampshire on
Q: We lost our place to live. We are paying for a hotel but it is my whole paycheck. Does the city welfare have to help us?

We got the room for $114 each night. My husband's health isn't good so we can't go into a shelter he has a service dog.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 3, 2023

A New Hampshire attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. I'm sorry for your difficult situation. Here is a link to New Hampshire Legal Assistance.

One of the categories they list under their legal assistance programs...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for New Hampshire on
Q: What can I report a town resident for going through a "road closed" sign?

I work for a town municipal department in New Hampshire and we're (public works dept.) having trouble with some residents going through our road closed sign. Our signs are properly placed out from another. We have a "road closed ahead" at each entrance into the road and our... View More

Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden
answered on Jun 15, 2022

Thanks for posting your question. I represent only folks charged with a crime so I would do not actually bring any charges. However, in the past I have represented citizens that have been charged for entering a closed road with various violations.

I would think that your local PD would be...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Municipal Law and Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: Good behaviour

Good afternoon, i was put on good behaviour for a violation on January 7th, 2019 and it ended on January 7th, 2020. I got arrested OUT OF STATE for an unfortunate violent crime on August 2019. It says i can annulle the violation after the period. Is that possible it will get annulled or will I need... View More

Andrew S. Winters
Andrew S. Winters
answered on Feb 8, 2021

I think I understand your question to mean you were convicted in New Hampshire for a violation on 1/7/19 with a one year good behavior period. You want to get that conviction annulled but in August of 2019 you were arrested for a different charge in New York. I assume that charge is still pending?... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for New Hampshire on
Q: If a town allows fundraisers for schools and town events, can they deny a church request to post similar fund raisers?

Town newsletter has traditionally allowed church secular fundraisers to be published until July 2015 when a new policy was adopted. New policy states the newsletter cannot "promote a religious point of view". I have pointed out that this policy may be newly iterated but it has always... View More

Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra
answered on May 31, 2016

Research would be necessary to definitively answer this question. However, it seems like the town is simply limiting the newsletter to government-sponsored events. If the town was allowing private events to advertise, but not similar church-sponsored events, there might be a First Amendment... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for New Hampshire on
Q: When do I stop owning (and paying taxes for) a property that no longer exists (in NH)?

I bought an old mobile home on a rented lot in a mobile home park for $2,000 in 2013.

In March of this year it was demolished (because it was damaged during the winter and the cost to repair it was greater than the cost to replace it) and I moved to live in temporary housing for disabled... View More

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Sep 13, 2015

Depending on the effective date of the tax assessment, you may owe property tax for this year. If, for example, assessments for this year are as of the end of February, you are properly being taxed for the MH for this tax year. They may claim a lien, but it is against the lot and you don't... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.