Q: Why does my sister have to pay a lawyer to get my deceased mother's house in her name?

My mother died from a terminal illness. After mom passed away my sister said she didn't leave a will but later on she said she found a will and mom had left me her car . I also asked her about my mom's bank account cause the hospital just gave my sister my mom's debit card, she said she didn't know, that she thinks they closed the account?I feel like my sister is being dishonest with me about my moms estate. She says she's having to pay a lawyer to get mom's house in her name. Does that have to be done? Why does it have to be done that way ? I was only supposedly left the car but nothing else and my sister is getting my mom's house and all her possessions? Does it sound like I'm being played ? Sorry for all the questions but I need answers . Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: This does not sound at all like you are being played. When a person dies, everything he or she owned in his or her individual name (with no beneficiary designations) must go through a legal process called probate in order to get those things transferred to the intestate heirs (no will) or beneficiaries of the will (if there was a will). Most people find that they need a lawyer to help with this court process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.