Tampa, FL asked in Native American Law and Real Estate Law for Kentucky

Q: I have rights to mineral land and Indian rights as well and I have no idea what to do

My mother was at least half Cherokee Indian and she was born in Menifee County Kentucky to A.R. in 1939. My half sister still lives on the land and she always refuses to give me any information

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You would need to re-post your question under Kentucky since the property is located in Kentucky. The laws are different from state to state. Unless the land is tribal land and your mother was a registered member of the tribe or there is some special law in the State of Kentucky regarding Native Americans, Native American rights would not be the issue. You may have mineral rights as well as other property interest by inheritance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.