Hialeah, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Will a Florida Judge order my 13 year old daughter to be returned to her grandmother that lives in a retirement home?

My mother has custody however my mother surrendered my daughter to me in 2018 and decided to cut ties with us. she came back into our lives in 2020 only to create more problems for me. Now in nasty custody battle and we have a hearing for next week to see if my daughter would be returned to her grandmother that lives in a +55 community home that DOES NOT allow minors to live in and only allow minors to visit for 30 days of the year

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr.  Joseph Lafayette Gufford III
Mr. Joseph Lafayette Gufford III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Stuart, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I really need more background on the case to get an understanding of the nature of the claims being made and the procedural history of that matter. Courts are almost always going to recognize the superiority of a parent over a non-parent. That being said, there are situations such as abuse , abandonment and neglect that might have an impact on those natural rights that parents have over non-parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.