Q: I need to save a patent of an invention by a non-US researcher and I want to sell it

The invention is saved by the tunisian laws and all rights are reserved but I would like to save the rights all over the world and then sell the invention to the highest bidder

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Chapel Hill, NC

A: If you have a patent application that was filed in Tunisia within the last 12 months, then you need to talk to the patent attorney that filed that application about filing a Patent Cooperation Treat application (normally called PCT application).

A PCT application is the front end of more than 150 patent systems around the world.

There is much to know and this is not the place for a long class on PCT applications. You can get some basic information at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_Cooperation_Treaty but your patent attorney can walk you through the details.

If your patent application was filed more than 12 months ago, then you will need to talk to your patent attorney about possible alternative steps including possibly filing a PCT application after abandoning the initial application.

I hope that this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.