Business Law Questions & Answers

Q: Is it allowed to use logos of automotive companies in the commercial video? The video shows the progress of the industry

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Business Law, Intellectual Property and Trademark for District of Columbia on
Answered on Dec 17, 2018
Andrew Zulieve Esq's answer
Although such use may not amount to a trademark (or perhaps copyright) infringement, my suggestion is to contact each company and obtain their written authorizations to use their respective logos.

Q: Business started in England, but now expanding - how do we set it up in New Jersey?

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Dec 14, 2018
Paul J. Riviere's answer
Simple answer is that you are required to register your foreign company with the state of New Jersey if your business is transacting business here in New Jersey. Speak to an attorney to get the details specific to your needs.

Q: If I have a car that I have repaired in my shop and the customer doesn't come and pay bill.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Virginia on
Answered on Dec 13, 2018
F. Paul Maloof's answer
The best way to attempt to recover the $4,500 is to file a small claims lawsuit in court.

Q: Question regarding business taxes, amount possibly owed, student loans, garnishment and payment plans

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Consumer Law and Tax Law for Michigan on
Answered on Dec 13, 2018
Trent Harris' answer
Estimates without documentation are not good enough for the IRS. You need to work with a tax accountant or CPA to reconstruct some sort of paper trail for your expenses. Otherwise, your eligibility for a student loan is going to be the least of your problems. If the IRS denies your deductions for your business expenses, you are going to end up owing tax on the entire amount of the income, and you will owe the IRS a ton of money you don’t have. Contact a CPA or tax accountant to help get you...

Q: What if I purchase a piece of furniture and the merchant proceeds to inform me they the them plus their vendor is out.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Civil Litigation for Virginia on
Answered on Dec 11, 2018
F. Paul Maloof's answer
I am unsure what is your question since the words you used are confusing.

Q: Can a pet store refuse to sell me a puppy just because I have children?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Animal / Dog Law for Maryland on
Answered on Dec 11, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
It’s a private company so they can do what they want. You’ll find it much easier to adopt the same day at the county animal shelter or the local humane society, who have many rescues looking for a home.

Q: Is it wrong for a company to hire a replacement before I even sign any paperwork saying I'm leaving or transferring

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Business Law and Employment Discrimination for Arizona on
Answered on Dec 10, 2018
Peter H. Westby's answer
No, Arizona is an "at will" employment state and, unless you are working under an employment contract, your employer is free to make staffing changes at any time.

Q: Starting a cannabis processing company in michigan and in search of answers regarding location, laws and licensing.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Municipal Law for Michigan on
Answered on Dec 10, 2018
Brent T. Geers' answer
Join the crowd! With passage of the new law, we are in the midst of a rush. Opening a new business regulated by new and untested laws can be a recipe for disaster. If you do not have experience in this industry, I would highly suggest you talk with operators in other states with similar laws (e.g. Colorado). It will not be easy, and it most likely will cost significant amounts of money to start right.

Q: Arbitration hearing or Judgement Issue?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 7, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
The problem may be your "assumptions." I suggest contacting the Delaware County Bar Association for an attorney referral, and then sit down with him/her and going over everything. Knowledge is power, y'know?

Best of luck to you.

Q: I would like anything you know about reducing political bribery in the US for my paper.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Dec 6, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
You should be able to find abundant material on the Internet. You could also explore the related topic of campaign contributions.

Tim Akpinar

Q: If my 4 yr old grandson stated his two uncles made him drink beer is that grounds to be removed from my daughters home

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Family Law and Business Law for New York on
Answered on Dec 5, 2018
Kristen Epifania's answer
Forcing a child to drink beer can certainly be considered endangering the welfare of a child and can thus be a basis for the petition.

Q: What are the most important legal liabilities/responsibilities of a corporate legal firm?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law on
Answered on Dec 5, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
This is an open-ended question whose answer could fill volumes. One of the important responsibilities of a corporate legal firm is to advise officers of the client corporation how to properly operate within the law. This could include guiding corporate officers about compliance with legislative developments.

Tim Akpinar

Q: I own a small retail electronic cigarette store and was named in a product liability law suit. Now unable to renew ins.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Dec 5, 2018
Mr. James Charles Wright's answer
If you have insurance, you should make them aware of claim. The insurer may provide you with a defense. Also a seller has a number of defenses to a products claim. Not sure why you cant get insurance. May need to ask another agent to help you. I am assuming this means after this claim was made, your insurer notified you it would not renew you.

Q: My LLC has not been operating or earning any money for years yet I keep receiving these notices for unpaid fees.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for California on
Answered on Dec 4, 2018
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
My guess is that you have to file some kind of form with the California Dept. of Corporations similar that will act as a "Dissolution of the LLC." Otherwise the State of California will keep sending you the tax bill. Even if you made no money, I believe you could still owe the Dept. of Corporations some kind of annual fee. I suggest you go on the California Dept of Corporations website and you will find the answer.

Q: I was just wondering if I have a case. I feel like I was done wrong and unfair. Can I do anything?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Colorado on
Answered on Dec 4, 2018
Ashley Dean Powell's answer
There may be potential claims here that you could have pursued. As you may well know, most civil claims/disputes like this have a deadline by which the claim must be brought in court (a "statute of limitations"). Given that the business was started 12 years ago and the relationship appears to have failed (you walked away) about 8 years ago, you may have lost your opportunity to sue for these claims. Presumably, most of the wrongdoing occurred before and leading up to you leaving 8 years ago,...

Q: Can I get a refund from a gym for initiation fee and monthly dues if i cancel my membership because of their misconduct?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Civil Litigation for California on
Answered on Dec 2, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
I do not practice in California, but a place to start could be to read the terms of their membership contract, checking for provisions about cancellation. You could consult with an attorney in California as to what your most cost-effective options could be in light of the amount of damages at hand.

Tim Akpinar

Q: Can I charge anything I want for no-show appointments or is there a limit?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Answered on Nov 30, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
The no-show charge policy must be communicated and agreed to up-front (or implicitly agreed to based on clear notice at the time of making an appointment). Only then will you have a legal basis to charge the fee. As far as the amount, there is no stated law on this, but as a rule of thumb most courts would not enforce a punitive amount, so keep the amount "reasonable." Defining what is reasonable is hardly an easy task, but when courts are called upon to define such things, they will usually...

Q: Can we write in changes to a contract on the original document?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Nov 30, 2018
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.'s answer
Maybe it depends on how extensive the changes are and they must be signed by both parties, not as easy as it may seem

Q: I want to set up business of marijuana cookies in Northern Virginia and Washington, DC

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for District of Columbia on
Answered on Nov 29, 2018
Bernard Crane's answer
I hope you like the color orange. You might be wearing it a lot.

In DC marijuana has recently been legalized, but ONLY for personal use. In DC if you are over 21 you can purchase, grow or possess up to two ounces of marijuana for your own use. You can transfer up to one ounce of marijuana to another person who is over 21, as long as it is a genuine gift, and is not being transferred for money or any other remuneration. The DC police will look beyond sham "gift" transactions. For...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.