Beaverton, OR asked in Civil Rights, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: 22 y/o son with developmental disabilities and mental illness was taken to ER after a suicide attempt & then arrested.

5 Security rushed towards our son & he picked up a plastic chair and held over his head because he thought he was in danger. He has PTSD from abuse and trauma background. They tackled him and chair came down on security guards head. He pressed charges against our son for assault and use of deadly weapon.

At admission, Police told me he put our son on a hold. and I as guardian asked them to place a hold for psych admission and evaluation. Hospital records show inconsistencies on whether or not he was on hold. Social worker miss quoted me from our phone conversation.

Our son accepted a deal from DA so basically admitted to a crime he didn't commit, misunderstanding the bigger picture and consequences of that being on his record.

There is video proving guard was at fault.

Can the case be reopened? Can our son sue security guard and or hospital. He was left in jail for over a week until I bailed him out. Being in jail was Emotionally stressful for our son and family.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jina Ly Clark
Jina Ly Clark
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I would check with the attorney who handled the case to see if there is a way to undo the plea. Generally, it is difficult to undo a plea once the plea deal is done.

Our law firm's policy is not to accept police misconduct cases on a contingency fee basis if a person pleads guilty. That doesn't mean there is not case. It just means the case is too high risk for us to accept. We could take such cases on an hourly basis but most clients are going to be angry with us if we lose a high risk case after they pay us thousands of dollars. Thus, we tend not to even want to accept high risk cases on an hourly basis.

If he wants to preserve his rights, he needs to get in tort claim notice within 180 days. We charge a flat fee to get the tort claim notice done if a person needs time to find other counsel. Tort claim notice protects Oregon rights since Federal claims are often disqualified due to qualified immunity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.