Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Libel & Slander for Oregon on
Q: My 18 year old daughter pierced my 12 year old daughters' nose. She is not licensed or in school. What can I do?

She picked her up from a friend's house and hid her from me, and has been instrumental in the kidnapping and coercion of her, which the nose piercing is evidence of.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on May 31, 2019

Press charges and maybe she can go to jail

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Elder Law, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Oregon on
Q: I need an attorney.

I have been accused of violating my lease. They say they have me on camera. I have a signed statement from the man who actually committed the offense. I am 80 and in a wheelchair. I cannot take this harassment anymore. It is adversely affecting my health. I have been in Home Forward for 24... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Mar 8, 2019

It is unclear whether this is still in an informal state of resolution or if you are being sued in court. Either way, you likely do indeed need the aid of a landlord-tenant attorney. Simply make an appointment to review everything with a local one and see where you go from there.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: guy we were working for assaulted one of our workers 2x and now refuses to pay us. Says we are trying to extort

He also shoved his way into the camper we were living in and broke our stuff in the process of the 2nd assault. He is also trying to say we stole 10g worth of stuff that he said we could have and we got out of the dumpster. He refuses to pay and says he is keeping everything I purchased for the job... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Mar 6, 2018

Hard to follow exactly what happened. If he assaulted you, you can sue for battery. If you were an employee, you can sue for the back wages and a penalty wage. If you were an independent contractor, you can sue for breach of contract.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Oregon on
Q: My brother wrote lies about me some place online. I can't fight what I don't know

Who can help me find out what he wrote?

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jan 22, 2018

This isn't a legal question and we don't have a way to search for anyone on Justia much less someone without a name. But I am going to suggest that you read up on what libel and slander is and ISN'T. Just because someone says something about you that you don't like doesn't mean that it is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: Can I sue for damages for defamation of character?
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Jul 20, 2017

Yes, you can. However, winning defamation cases is difficult, as opinion and the truth are defenses. Plus, it is hard to prove the damages, as in how much would you be owed. Lastly, collecting any money from a judgment can be difficult, unless the person has money or assets.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Libel & Slander and Employment Law for Oregon on
Q: Can a retail owner send security video of a person (not employee) to that persons employer even without a crime?

I was in a convenience store at the airport after my shift and we were swapping gossip and rumors about the store being for sale and the company I work for is interested in buying it.

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Jun 9, 2016

If they want to they could. Not sure why this is tagged with criminal law and slander, as you indicate no crime was committed and unless they alter the video the video shows what it shows so t here could be no libel/slander.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.