Columbus, OH asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: If the wife committed adultery, how can the husband go about ending the marriage with no spousal support in final ruling

My wife cheated on me no longer than 7 months ago. We are still legally married with no legal separation. We are no longer living together as of a week ago. There are a lot of things regarding finances and property her and I are going over. However, I am curious as to how her betrayal benefits me in ending the marriage.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Pursuant to section 3105.171 concerning equitable division of marital and separate property - distributive award in Divorce the Ohio Legislature has ruled the court shall provide for an equitable division of marital property prior to making any award of spousal support to either spouse and without regard to any spousal support so awarded. There are many factors in this same section of the code which dictates how courts should award spousal support including the duration of the marriage, the assets and liabilities of the spouses, property distribution, tax consequences and any other factor the court expressly finds to be relevant and equitable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.