Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: My wife’s custody case with her ex might be in the process of transferred. How long do we have to find new attorney

They made a motion to transfer and we’ve been here for over a year so more than likely it will be transferred. Our attorney on this case is over 5 hours away and we will more than likely hire a new one up here in new location. Do we have a little time or can we file something to get us some time to hire one and catch them up on this case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The transfer doesn't happen immediately so you will have a little time.

You should check the court website for the county the case is being transferred to at least once a week to see if it has been transferred. If the county does not have a court website contact the district clerk to ask at least once a week.

You should make sure that the court has your contact information so that if a court hearing is set you will get notice.

If a hearing is set and you still do not have an attorney show up to court and request more time to get an attorney. But, I would advise you not to bank on the judge giving you more time because that is not a guarantee.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.