Jersey City, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: How long after a hearing for child support before judge schedules decision? Hearing was May 27 and no response

Motion filed pro se. Judge ran out of time because hearing was held at 5. Said we would be on record with decision following week. Am now told that court is booked and they don’t know when judge will get us back on record. It will be a month on Friday and crickets from court

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I am guessing that the court never began the actual arguments on the record in your matter concerning child support. Like every other profession in the world, things sometimes fall through the cracks, and you need to follow up with the judge's chambers to inquire as to the status of the rescheduling of your matter. I would call and ask to speak with the law clerk and if the law clerk is not available, then ask for the judge's secretary. Make sure that you have the docket number readily available and the date of the filing of the application[s]. If you are unable to reach them, send an email to the judge's attention reminding him / her of the date originally scheduled and that you were told that it was going to be rescheduled for the following week. When you write to the court, make sure to copy your ex on the email/letter. Hopefully, you will then be able to get the matter back on the court's calendar.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: There is no way to know for certain, but the explanation provided by learned colleague attorney Diamond certainly makes sense and is a good possibility. You should either call the Court and speak to the Judge's law clerk. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.