Los Angeles, CA asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for California

Q: I won a judgment in small claims court several years ago but the other party will not pay

I have sent several letters and called many times and the other party, which is a tow truck company, still has not paid. They were served properly by a sheriff's deputy but they failed to appear on our court date, so the judge awarded me the judgment which seems impossible to collect. How do I collect the judgment funds?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman
  • Mill Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The good news is that your judgement keeps earning interest while it remains uncollected. The bad news is that collection is up to you, and is not a subject which can be easily answered in a simple question and answer forum. There are attorneys who specialize in collections, and typically charge 50% of the collected amounts. There are several methods of getting to the money or assets of the judgement debtor, and often these can be carried out by the Sheriff. If you really want to do this yourself, be prepared to spend some hours studying at your local law library. You eventually can expect to levy the company bank accounts, lien property it owns, or possibly even have a tow truck seized and sold.

Tim Akpinar and Yelena Gurevich agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.