Tampa, FL asked in Contracts, Business Law, Civil Litigation, Small Claims and Libel & Slander for Florida

Q: Can I be sued, and if so what can I do?

I had a small pet sitting gig where I offer pet sitting services. I was contacted by a gentleman to overnight pet sit for 10 days (06/17 - 06/26). We agreed, he paid me 80% up front. (No contract signed, no witness to the agreement) My partner and I stayed from 06/17 - 06/19, and I stayed by myself on 06/19, and ended up leaving 06/20 night due to roaches.

I reached out to the gentleman and informed him I was no longer comfortable staying at his house, but would continue to pet sit. He responded with threatening to call the police and sue me. He told me to leave, and after the agreement was terminated, I refunded all but $160 for the services that were rendered. He then threatened me again and stated that he would "make my life miserable". He stated he would contact previous people I've done business with and that I would "regret this, trust me". Due to these threats, I am concerned since he does know where I live and the police will not file a report since nothing has happened.

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It appears that he is threatening to tell people bad things about you, not physically attack you or anything like that. Arguably it's a threat to defame (slander) you. Could you sue him if he did? I probably wouldn't bother.

Why should you care if the police won't make a formal report; that means nothing?

Your initial question is whether you can be sued. Anyone can sue anyone. Would such a suit have any traction? No, very unlikely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.