Asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: I live in the State of Texas - I am unmarried, but I have been living with a woman for the past 10 years.

I have been very careful to avoid having our living situation qualify as a common law marriage under Texas law. I did designate my live-in friend as my domestic partner for health insurance purposes when I was working, but there was never a formal agreement of any kind. I own 100% of the house we live in (no mortgage). From separate assets in separate accounts, we have each contributed to monthly \ annual living expenses (utilities, house taxes, insurance, etc.). My Living Trust bequeaths a small amount of money to her from my estate upon my death, as well as provisions giving her a life estate to live in the house until she dies or decides to move - my children will own the house - she's responsible for upkeep, taxes, utilities, etc.. Given those conditions, would my live-in friend have any claim to any of my assets? And given those conditions, would I be able to make my live-in friend to move out if she doesn't want to.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You need to have a Will and be specific . Show her the will and explain to her your wishes,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.