Land O' Lakes, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: I'm representing myself and need to know how to ask for Production of documents and request for admission.

I have a few documents I need from my ex, and 12 questions I want him to answer. In my county we have a printable interrogatories paper, but nothing for the other 2. Not sure how to ask for them, or if there is anything special I have to do. Can I just email my request to his lawyer, or do I have to write it out and formally file with the courts and then serve him. I'm so confused but I cannot afford legal help right now. Please, any pointers as what to do would be greatly appreciated!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: See the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure, particularly Rules 1.280 through 1.280.

Mr.  Joseph Lafayette Gufford III
Mr. Joseph Lafayette Gufford III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Stuart, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It’s a really bad idea to represent yourself. The first place you need to look is at:,%20form/date%20desc&view=embed_custom&searchtype=form&limit=50&query=&offset=0

There should be interrogatories for initial actions and modification actions. You can also add interrogatories but be sure to word them very carefully. On Request for Production and Request for Admissions, there’s no real forms on the state website last time I checked but I’m sure you can Google it and get some results on how to do it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.