McKinney, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: the respondent filed a counter petition but have yet to serve me. what can i do

I filed a petition in Tarrant County to have my case moved to Collin County (where the kids and I reside) and to modify the order. My ex husband filed his own petition 6/14 without actually answering mine. I was informed that I can not move forward until I am served or I should reach out to his attorney directly. What should I do. I cant afford an attorney

1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Look in your county and see if there are volunteer lawyers. If you don't have a lawyer I would wait until you are served,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.