Austin, TX asked in Divorce and International Law for Texas

Q: Hi, My spouse and I are Americans and Egyptians; if he divorced me in Egypt, what are my rights as Texas resident?

I’m 54 years old, married for 33 years, and unemployed ( I’m seeking a job); my husband and I are almost separated for 3 years. We do have a home in Sugar Land and joined banks accounts

( that he is controlling most of them, I don’t have online access except for one account). I’m living in Austin, I can’t live with him for my own safety. Please advise,

-would I lose my rights if he divorced me in Egypt? I know he has a ticket reservation for 9/4/22 back to Egypt.

-Do I have to file for the divorce in Fortbend county? ( I have no place except our house and I can’t afford paying for hotels)

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Texas

A: First and foremost: I know nothing about the law of Egypt except that it, too, is inherited from the British.

Go get yourself a lawyer tomorrow! Most lawyers will give you the first interview for free, and then try to work out a system of payment. You need to be the first to file and serve him before he leaves the country.

Good Luck


Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you have lived in Texas for 6 months and in Austin for 90 days file in the county where you live,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.