Vicksburg, MS asked in Child Support for Mississippi

Q: It’s been a year and state child support office isn’t making my kids father pay full amount that’s court ordered?

I hired a private lawyer in 2020. July 2021 our court order was signed by my childrens father. His payments are suppose to come out his check through the state from his job. But it’s been one whole year and the payments are still not right. I have been to the child support office almost every single month and nothing changed the full amount is not being paid neither the previous back child support that was around $2100 in the beginning he’s now $5100 in back child support. I need help cause I have no idea what to do and department of human services is no help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You would probably do better to take all of your paperwork to a private attorney and let him/her review it. The private attorney will be better able to spend the time on trying to determine what is going on with your case. If the court order states a specific amount each month for current support, then that is what should be paid. If it also has an additional amount that should be added each month for the arrearage, then you should be receiving that, as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.