Frisco, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: Serving texas subpoena on a GA based company by serving it's registered agent in texas.

I have an enforcement action against my Ex in Texas court. My ex lies to court that he earns just $40,000 per year but I know he gets over $150,000 per year.

I want to secure payment records via subpoena from his work place to prove to court.

My ex works at newell company in GA. Their registered agent is in Austin, Tx. So served it's registered agent in texas.

Now their legal department says it's a foreign subpoena and can't comply.

And asking me to state legal authority.

I am a unwmployed prose. Please advice.


1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Are you serving a Motion for Enforcement? Or a subpoena? Those are two different documents

If you are serving a Motion for Enforcement and if your ex is an employee of the company in Georgia, you cannot serve a Motion for Enforcement for your ex, by serving the company that they work for or their registered agent. Enforcement actions must be personally served on the party to the suit.

If you have the address for the company in Georgia, you can send a Sheriff, Constable or private process server to personally serve your ex at their job.

I hope this information helps. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.