Asked in Real Estate Law and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: How can I get someone off my deed?

My ex is on my deed and refuses to leave my home. He has 49% and I have 51% on the deed. He has never paid any mortgage or bills since living in this house. I have been paying ALL the bill since moving in. I have proof that I am the only one paying. Now that I've asked him to leave he is holding this deed over my head. I cant refinance due to my credit. Can I sue him in court to get him off the deed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: This is a very difficult situation. If you bring an action in partition, the Court will most likely order a sale of the property. A result not desired. The other method would to be to seek a domestic restraining order. This would require seeking the advice of an attorney that practices family law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.