Houston, TX asked in Civil Litigation and Family Law for Texas

Q: I just found out that my father died we had a joint title of a vehicle. Is the car now solely mine and how do I get it.

Found out my father died 1 1/2 months ago and is already buried. Half adopted brother handled his cremation services and never notified me. I and my father had a joint title where his name and my name are on the title. Received video proof that my adopted half-brother has taken possession of the car. How do I get possession of the vehicle I still have my key and the last title with My name and My father's name on it. Can I go and take possession of the vehicle. Or should I call the cops and report the car stolen because my adopted brother is nowhere on the title. Trying to make sure he does not find a way to change the title of the car that should be rightfully mine.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The car is not stolen so do not file a false police report. Take the title and keys and go pick up the car if you are on the title as a owner

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.