Reisterstown, MD asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for California

Q: Can we pull equity from a property in my parent's trust to finance my mother's long-term care?

My mother currently lives in the house she purchased with my late father. Fully paid and in their trust. She is showing signs of dementia and we expect the need for full time in-home or assisted living care within the next year. In a recent review of my father's trust, we found an unexpected amendment, indicating that her ownership of the house is contingent on living in it. Otherwise the house must be sold and proceeds distributed to the heirs (myself, brother & 1/2 brother). Mother's wish is to remain in the house. My brother and I want ensure this is possible, while funding the care she needs. My 1/2 brother's interest is to move her out as he is entitled to 50% value, threatening finances. My brother and I have discussed using the equity in the home to finance care, either through equity line or reverse mortgage. No evidence in trust that this is prohibited. What kind of attorney should we talk to, to ensure this is within her rights and to mitigate conflict with our 1/2 brother?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in California

A: Talk to an elder law attorney. You might be able to keep the house AND get Medicaid to pay for her care.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.