San Diego, CA asked in Construction Law for California

Q: My contractor ghosted me near the end of the job. I have paid him directly but now find out he didn't order the material

He has also not paid the employees or installers. But I have paid him. What can I do legally to get job done and have his vendors paid

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam T. Carralejo
Adam T. Carralejo
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Abandonment of the job is a serious ethical and legal violation. If you have any contact with your contractor you should make a record (email/text/mail) of demanding reimbursement to you of any amounts owed employees and installers.

Second thing is to verify his CSLB license, if you haven't already. Through the CSLB website you can make a claim against the bond (you can recover up to $15,000). You should also file a complaint with the CSLB.

In my experience, when a contractor abandons a job it is usually a sign that his business and/or personal life are in crisis - although occasionally they are just too busy. You need to speak to a lawyer immediately. Contractors are notoriously difficult to get payment from and you are unlikely to be the only job with this problem. You want to get first in line claiming against the bond and against any insurance (if there is a policy).

Look up the license here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.