Lancaster, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania

Q: What steps are required to deal with a landlord to replace a broken water heater. Can't get any response

No hot water for 2 weeks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Philadlephia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You need to contact the landlord by writing him an actual letter. If you have a lease, there should be a section in the lease entitled “Notice” which will have the address where notices to the landlord should be sent. It may also contain other instructions such as how the letter should be sent (usually by regular mail) and information about the date the notice is considered to be received or given. Follow these instructions.

The letter should begin by giving the date of the lease and a description of the leased premises. Then explain what the problem is and when it started. Then give a date when you expect the landlord to have completed fixing the problem. The date to complete fixing the repair shouldn’t be longer than 15 business days. The letter should be polite.

Also, there should be a section in the lease entitled “Repairs” or “Maintenance” or “Landlord’s Duties” which should list what the landlord is obligated to provide, maintain, and repair. Make sure hot water or the water heater is included. The section probably states that the landlord has no duty to make repairs unless he receives written notice from the tenant of the need for a repair and may say how many days landlord has to complete the repair. If it has the number of days, put this timeframe in your letter instead, along with a reference to this section of the lease.

If you have no written lease, send him the same letter without the references to the repair section of the lease. Send the letter to the address you otherwise use to contact the landlord or pay rent (unless he uses a rent payment service).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.