San Marcos, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: can i apply for citizenship if i owe irs from prior yrs with old ss number? and had a misdemeaneor in 2000? im gc holder

we received a letter from irs stating we owe 2012 2014 taxes with my old ss number and my husbands old Itin Number. we both are now Green card holder for 5 yrs now with new ss numbers. I had a misdemeanor for theft under $75 in 2000, i did my community service and case closed.Do I need to report any of this in application? Does immigration see all this? I have not yet made payments or payment arrangemnets to irs for back taxes.

also my old social security was given to me as a child to register for school. wasnt valid work.

im in Texas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roland Godfrey Ottley
Roland Godfrey Ottley pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Provided that all the other issues and considerations for filing for citizenship are without problems, then you may be able to overcome your problem of owing IRS back taxes by negotiating a settlement with them. If you are able to do so and you have been paying taxes for the last 3 to 5 years, then you should be able to overcome one of your issues in obtaining your citizenship. Now, depending on the misdemeanor that you were charged with, we would have to make sure that you were actually convicted of that crime. If you were convicted, then we would need to determine whether that conviction is for a crime involving moral turpitude. If in fact it is, then you would need a waiver to overcome any suggestion that you are not a person of good moral character. You have to obtain the disposition for that and all other crimes as well as any associated records for any convictions to be able to make a proper assessment of that misdemeanor. It may be worthwhile for you to consult with an immigration attorney once you gather all of your documents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.