Jacksonville, FL asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Florida

Q: My husband is currently been detained for battery on a leo and did not want to take it to trail and changed his plea

From not guilty to guilty. They are trying to extradite him back to the Philippines. How do we fight thia case. We have 2 kids and he had been a residences of the United States for over 30 years

1 Lawyer Answer
Jeremy Lasnetski
Jeremy Lasnetski pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like your husband pled guilty to a criminal offense and is now, or is about to be, in removal (deportation) proceedings before an Immigration Court. Even if a person is deportable, there may be forms of relief available to help them stay in the United States. Like our firm, there are many immigration attorneys and firms throughout the country that focus on immigration and deportation cases involving criminal convictions. You should consult with an immigration attorney who specifically has experience in criminal law to see if your husband has any forms of relief available to him, based on his specific facts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.