Fallbrook, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Is there a way to help a young man who came from Guatemala when he was 14 years old, now 19, get a green card?

Juan has helped my husband with yard work since he was 16 years old. His mother brought his sister and Juan to the US from Guatemala when he was 14 years old. He entered the Fallbrook school system and graduated from High School last month. He is now 19, a hard worker, and speaks fluent English. His family applied for citizenship twice with a lawyer and were denied by the judge. His lawyer said he should just be a law abiding citizen and he wouldn't be deported. He can't get a job other than being a day laborer as he does not have a green card or social security card. It seems as if he is destined for a life in the shadows of poverty. I know this is a problem for so many people but after knowing Juan and admiring his work ethic for three years it just seems so sad that at 19 years old there are not many options available for him. Do you have any suggestions of how my husband and I can help this young man?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The Biden administration is supposed to publish new DACA rules next month. He might be able to qualify for that but should consult with an immigration attorney before applying, as it sounds like he may have an unexecuted removal order based on being included in his court parent's case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.