Columbus, OH asked in DUI / DWI for Ohio

Q: I was charged with a OVI in Portsmouth Ohio after rear ending a car in front of me.

I am diabetic and has been out of my medicine for about 2 weeks. I had stopped in Western Virginia and had drank a pint of fireball whiskey and a can of Mikes hard lemonade while I was resting and then got back on the road to Mount Gilead Ohio at about 5am. I blew a .115 on the breathalyzer but after I got out of jail I tested my blood sugar and it was over 400 and I still felt very bad. The officer never asked me if I was diabetic or anything and I feel that the amount I drank was not enough to make me legally intoxicated so I’m asking if being out of my medicine for a couple of weeks and then drinking what I did if there would be any way to bring that in as a defense?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roger  Bouchard
Roger Bouchard
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Unfortunately not. And the amount you drank put you over the limit. Your being diabetic and drinking two high sugar cocktails does not make sense especially when you were not medicated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.