Waianae, HI asked in Real Estate Law for Hawaii

Q: My fiancé has been living in his family home since late 1996. His parents were divorced in 2000 , however prior to the f

My question is , can either one of them justmove back in and essentially push us out especially since my fiancé has been the sole person upkeeping the home from repairs to utilities excluding land taxes that his father refused to let him pay. Secondly, does the father have “more say” or ownership because he pays the land tax . Note: the home almost went into foreclosure in 2006 due to lack of payment. Is there anything we can do to protect ourselves?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly LaPrade
Kelly LaPrade
  • Lahaina, HI
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: Hi, I am sorry you’re experiencing this difficulty. Usually ownership to a piece of real property in Hawaii would be vested in the person or persons listed on the deed to property. One way a person could attain ownership is by adverse possession but more facts would be needed to determine whether a claim of adverse possession is viable. Please note: Your question was cut off so I was able to see the entire question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.