Pensacola, FL asked in Employment Law and Environmental for Florida

Q: Do I have any legal put to stand on

The kitchen I work in is continually over 90 to 99゚ according to osha that's too hot what actions can I take

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The first step is to request the employer to comply with the OHSA safety standard and to keep a paper or electronic trail of written communications about the issue. If the employer fails to comply or fires you for raising the issue, immediately seek a consultation with an employment law attorney in your area. A complaint and request for inspection may be filed with OSHA, and there are whistleblower protections for those who are fired for raising OSHA violations. Of course, if a whistleblower-retaliation claim is made, an unscrupulous employer may come up with some different, fake reason for firing you, which is called "pretext". If that happens, the employee needs to muster the evidence to show that it was really the OSHA issue that triggered the termination. An employment law attorney can help you attempt to prevent a pretext issue from arising.

Jay P. Lechner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.