Fairborn, OH asked in Family Law and Adoption for Ohio

Q: I have a 10 year old son. On his birth certificate, only I appear as guardian (I'm his birth mother).

His bio father never bothered to recognize him or even provide any type of support. I am now married (married 3 years and have been together for 5 years) and my husband wants to legally adopt him. Do I need to terminate parental rights with my son's biological dad, or can we skip that step and have my husband adopt him. I don't have any information on my ex's whereabouts and he has not had any contact with my son since he was 5 years old. Prior to his 6th birthday, my son only saw his dad maybe one or twice a year. He never provided financially for our son.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Adoption and termination of rights happen at the same time. You will need to file for a stepparent adoption, which the biological father will have a right to contest. If he has not had more than de minimus (small) contact with OR provided support for your child for over a year then his consent is not required to proceed with the stepparent adoption. His rights would be terminated once the adoption goes through.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.