Phoenix, AZ asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona

Q: I have a class 6 undesignated felony i have not paid probation fees from almost 10 years ago. Should I petition or pay

I was aon probation at 19, it lasted 18 months. I'm 30 now and was told when done with probation I could petition to have my felony dropped to misdemeanor but my probation fees have gone to collections now. Do I pay or can I petition without paying. I should add I did not just choose to not pay but I cannot afford it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Scharboneau
Steven Scharboneau
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: The answer is, it depends on what is in the plea agreement. Is there language in the plea agreement that requires the fulfillment of all of the conditions of the sentence (this is known as "earned misdemeanor language") or is the plea agreement silent to this effect? The statute for Arizona Class 6 Undesignated felonies is ARS 13-604 if that helps you at all. What is in the plea is really important though.

If you cannot determine what is in the plea and need help filing the petition to have the felony designated a misdemeanor, please feel free to reach out. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.