Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: how do I legally create a militia in AZ? What can I not do?

I created a group that consists of 23 people. We have soldiers, cooking staff, registered nurses, maintenance crew, and a supply/inventory crew that would come together in the event of a total collapse of the government and the United States. I was thinking about having some of us register as NRA... Read more »

Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss answered on Apr 1, 2020

As a criminal defense lawyer, I don't have the best answer for you. I recommend that you contact a lawyer who specifically deals with constitutional law as this is going to be up the alley of constitutional freedoms such as speech, assembly, etc.

On the criminal defense side of things, I...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Are there Pro-Bono Lawyers that help Criminal Case in Arizona?

My brother is being extradited back to Maricopa County from New Mexico. He has 10 counts of sexual exploitation of a minor for possession of internet porn. He was told by a defense lawyer found on the internet that it would be over $30,000 to defend him. He has no means. He has lost his job and is... Read more »

K. Bryan Goodman
K. Bryan Goodman answered on Mar 3, 2020

A public defender or court appointed attorney will be appointed at the arraignment.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: I am a surety for a property bond for my brother in a criminal case in federal court. I need help with a Bond Forfeiture

My brother has been sentenced and is serving his time currently. He was released on bail in 3/2019 and had no issues until a dirty drug test. He was required to appear before the judge and surrender earlier then his original surrender date in his sentencing. The court then exonerated the bond. The... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 12, 2019

You need to retain a lawyer in the federal district where the forfeiture occurred

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: complying with court orders and doing what im supposed to do as a good citizen does but im a known felon and easy target

I was outside a friends house at the end of driveway by the street polishing my motorcycle minding my own buis not aware of anyone home because nobody answered. The house was raided earlier that day before i showed up and i did not know this at this time however apparently there was a jacket found... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jul 19, 2019

Sounds like a very weak case. If you already have a past with the officer, he can arrest you even if he knows the charges will not "stick." If you have not had a preliminary hearing yet, that will be the opportunity for your attorney (PD or retained) to make the case that there is not enough... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I be charged at all if someone commits suicide after watching a YouTube video that I posted a comment on?

A few years ago I left a comment in the comment section of a YouTube video. This video wasn't mine, but essentially dismissed the legitimacy of depression and similar mental illnesses. I said some pretty unenlightened things about depressed people in my comment (e.g. that they're... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jul 8, 2019

A) The statute of limitations (law setting a deadline by which charges must be filed or a claim made) has likely run on this event. B) Opinion is almost always protected speech unless it is inflammatory, contains untruths, or is damaging to a person's professional reputation. C) It is impossible to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: Good day, how can I know if there is an arrest warrant against any person or, if applicable, an extradition order?

The intention is to know where the problem is (we already know that he has a problem) and try to attend to it.

Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss answered on Jun 13, 2019

One of the best ways to see if someone has a warrant is to contact the Department of Public Safety at 602-223-2233. They will ask for your name and date of birth in order to look up if you have a warrant and will be able to tell you right then and there.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: May an uncharged minor accused of a felony hire an attorney to defend the minor?

Grandparents are willing and able to pay legal expenses. Minor’s parents do not want grandparents involvement. Minor does want grandparents help. Minor needs legal help. Parents have not obtained legal assistance.

Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss answered on Mar 26, 2019

This is an interesting predicament you are in because of the individual needing help being a minor. The fact that the minor is involved means the parents or legal guardians need to be involved but not as much as you might think. They need to be present for court and that's about it for most cases.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: nics wants to know if my conviction 44 years ago of larceny was a misdeameanor or felony.

I paid fine thru mail I asked police and court for records. yhey told me and them that after 5 years all misdeameanolrs are purged from system therefore there are no records. that's your answer right? according to nics its not. how do I get records that don't exist how do I pacify nics. gotten... Read more »

Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss answered on Dec 21, 2018

Hello, I understand your frustration as we have encountered similar issues. Our best recommendation is to go in-person to the County Records Office. If your case 44 years ago was in Maricopa county then you have a few different locations you can go to. This is your best bet to find what you are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: If I cashed a check under my name not knowing it was stolen and forged am I able to get charges drop if charged
Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss answered on Sep 13, 2018

Your question was slightly cut off at the end. I will need more details about what happened but it is likely that you were charged with forgery and/or fraud schemes. These are serious charges and you should not keep posting about them online and should contact a lawyer for a confidential... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: If I accidentally find myself on a child erotica site. I reported the site. Is this a legal problem?

I contacted the web host to report this site and also contacted the national center for exploited children. There was no nudity or sexual acting out. The site calls itself a modeling site. The girl was 14 modeling underwear and a bathing suit. I did not perform a search term for such a site.

Kai Michael Henderson
Kai Michael Henderson answered on Jun 14, 2018

It is an interesting legal issue. We must first look to the statutes to understand what erotica is and how a person might commit the offense of sexual exploitation by possessing such erotica. A.R.S. Sec. 13-3553 Provides that "A person commits sexual exploitation of a minor by... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: Wat charge is 13-901
Kai Michael Henderson
Kai Michael Henderson answered on Jun 12, 2018

Arizona Revised Statute Sec. 13-901 deals with probation. It is often placed at the end of a charging paragraph with other relevant sentencing statutes as part of the explanation of possible applicable sentencing provisions, but since that language is often copied and pasted into various Court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: can the dea seize my timeshares

I'm on ssd (social security), yet they put a hold on my bank account. I am being charged with conspiracy, illegally conducting enterprise, and transport of marijuana. My vehicle was seized even though I am still making payments on it. I am also still paying timeshares and would like to know if... Read more »

Michael Hales
Michael Hales answered on Dec 1, 2017

Probably not, but given the time that has passed since you asked this question, I'm guessing it's a moot point.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: My home was robbed i know who did it but the police pushed it away. What can i do

My home was robbed by a friend of mine she was the only one in the home and then within minutes we knew everything was taken and the police were called she also had warrants and other things we did not know about going on through the state. the federal police department wanted to go after her but... Read more »

Tevis Steven Reich
Tevis Steven Reich answered on Mar 2, 2017

You may have a civil claim against her. Proving it however may be difficult, especially if the police and local law enforcement felt they had insufficient evidence to pursue the matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Traffic Tickets for Arizona on
Q: Criminal ticket 61 in a 40 in phoenix. How much do you think it will cost and its my second criminal within a year

The cop didnt scratched his name off and didnt mark me with a radar gun. He paced me but i know i wasnt speeding so i know hes bullshitting. Should i fight it?

Matthew Maerowitz
Matthew Maerowitz answered on Dec 28, 2016

As I answered in your earlier questions, if the judge allows Defensive Driving School that would allow the charge to get dismissed. If you live out of state, do you really want to travel back to attend your hearing and take the risk? A pace can be questioned, but again I recommend hiring an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Arizona on
Q: Can you request something else in lieu of prison after a judges decision for imprisonment? 16 month sentence.
Craig Orent
Craig Orent answered on Jun 24, 2011

Unfortunately, the answer is "no", especially if you have already been sentenced by the Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.