Austin, TX asked in Personal Injury and Small Claims for Arizona

Q: I am suffering bulemia nervosa after a comment from an ex. My teeth are falling out and it is expensive. Can I sue him?

This probably sounds so crazy. But his comment lead me down a spiral of self-hatred and eventually forcing myself to vomit up food to be skinnier. And now, thanks to all that acid, my teeth have holes and I suspect I need around $10,000 to repair them completely, including 4 crowns and at least 20 fillings- the dentist said there was a cavity on every single tooth thanks to me brushing around the acid. Is it possible that I have a case to sue him for emotional damages and pain and suffering? I know this sounds really stupid and petty but if I could get that money, it would make me less of a burden on my family's shoddy insurance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I'm sorry to hear of everything you are experiencing. Regardless of what I may say about your legal case, please know that you deserved to be treated better by your ex and you should also be kind to yourself and love who you are.

I think winning a case like yours would be difficult. It's quite possible you might be able to bring a lawsuit under the theory of intentional infliction of emotional distress, but you'd have to prove he intended to cause you emotional distress, and that your development of bulimia was a foreseeable result of his comment. Again, I think that would be incredibly difficult to do.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.