Kent, WA asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington

Q: Speeding, 70 in a 60, no signage of anything or paperwork. WA.

I was stopped past midnight for speeding in the highway, was very polite to the officer as he was to me, he only wanted to see my I.D. and nothing else, no ticket was given to me on the spot, and no paperwork to sign etc, asked for my address however, and said I would be getting a ticket via mail. For going over 10.

Isn't it required by WA law to sign ticket papers? If so does this make the ticket invalid or what?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Antone Alfred Weber
Antone Alfred Weber
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: No, the law was changes some years ago because people were refusing to sign and then getting the ticketed kicked out for no signature. Now it must simply be "served," including by mail. One reason to keep your address with DOL current.

If you don't get it in the next couple of weeks, I recommend calling the court. They can look you up by name and birth date.

In the meantime, you should look into hiring a traffic attorney. The real cost to you is not just the ticket fine, but possible impacts on your insurance, which can easily run into the thousands of dollars over the next few years. If you happen to drive for a living (CDL, company vehicle, Uber/Lyft) you could be unemployed.

Most attorneys offer a free consultation to discuss your charge.

Jahnis John Abelite agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.