Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Washington Traffic Tickets Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: I’m a bit confused on the wording of this law in WA state: RCW 46.61.685

So if the motor is not running is that okay?

Stan Glisson answered on Mar 26, 2019

Correct - that crime is only committed if the engine is running.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: Still haven't paid two tickets from 8 months ago can I still hire a lawyer to have them dismissed?

My son inlaws license has now been suspended because he didn't pay the tickets and as of December he owed $600 to get his license back and the fines paid. He hasn't had the money to pay. My son just had two tickets that were dismissed but of course, they weren't past due and his license wasn't... Read more »

Stan Glisson answered on Feb 21, 2019

It is definitely not too late to hire a lawyer, but what they can do at this point might be limited.

Depending on the court, it may still be possible to get them withdrawn from collections, and back on a calendar in front of a judge to fight them. This is actually fairly common, but every...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: Can you get a dwls 3rd degree while on a motorcycle in Washington state

Had no knowledge of my suspended license also didnt have a permit for motorcycles but was not cited for it

Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 24, 2019

Why was your license suspended? Why did you not know about it? Have you kept your address up to date with the DMV? Have you paid all necessary license and registration fees on time? Did the state contact you or try to do so re: your suspended license? And why were you driving without a permit? More... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: How much is a DWLS 3? How do you go about quashing a warrant?

Stan Glisson answered on Aug 20, 2018

Different courts handle them differently. I have seen everything from $0 fine to over $900 in fines. If you can get relicensed, most courts will cut you a big break, maybe amend to a non criminal infraction or something similar to that.

You should call the court and ask their warrant quash...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: i'm 16 got a ticket for violation of my permit, no insurance and 30 over. Can i pay the ticket without a parent?

Stan Glisson answered on Apr 19, 2018

If you went to the courthouse and paid the ticket, there is no reason anything would ever be sent to your house by the court. However, DOL will likely mail you a warning letter for having an infraction appear on your record.

Plus, your intermediate license will get revoked if you get two...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: I was pulled over and given a driving while suspended infraction and no ignition interlock infraction. Had a DUI in 2012

I got 5 years bench probation for the has been 6 years so am I safe from getting a probation violation?

Stan Glisson answered on Apr 12, 2018

Probably. The five years can get extended in certain circumstances, so someone would have to look at the court docket to confirm that they closed their jurisdiction.

If you didn't have probation violations, and never missed court dates, then it should have closed five years from the day of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: I got pulled over at 18 didnt yield no license or insurance now 24 and haven't taken care of it can I get my permit?

I didn't know it wasent taken care of I wish I did just not sure what steps to take but want to start driving as soon as I can

Stan Glisson answered on Mar 29, 2018

If you were 18 at the time, then the only restriction that results from that should be payment of fines. They probably went to collections, so you would have to contact the court and find out how to pay them. Once the fines are taken care of, you are probably clear to apply for a license.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: Can I get a ticket in the mail if the officer never gave me a ticket on scene and never said I was going to get one?

I was pulled over for speeding on the freeway (about 15 over) and I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop. He asked for my license and went back to his bike, but never gave me a warning or a ticket. He just said "that's all I needed" and left? What does that mean? Am I going to receive a ticket in... Read more »

Stan Glisson answered on Mar 8, 2018

They can write a ticket and mail it to you, that does happen. But it's very rare. If he didn't write it then, that probably means he isn't going to.

But no, no warning necessary. I would make sure your address is correct with DOL to make sure that if he does send you a ticket you will get...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: I got a speeding ticket in a school zone by going 28mph and that has to be 20mph Also by not a having license.

What can I do? Can i fight the case if it was my first ticket?

Stan Glisson answered on Mar 8, 2018

Sure you can fight it. School zone tickets are obviously expensive, as are violations for no license. It makes a huge difference if you just left your license at home, as opposed to not having a license.

You should really talk to a lawyer who practices in this area of the law in the county...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: I got negligent driving 3.5 years ago and this is my only ticket ever. Is there a way I can get this off my record?

I need this done for employment. Please tell me the procedure and cost associated with this. It is 2nd degree for exhibition of speed

Stan Glisson answered on Mar 5, 2018

First or second degree? A first is probably eligible to vacate off your record (if it didn't start out as a DUI), but I don't know of any way to get rid of a second degree.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: I got a speeding ticket in my wifes car. How do i keep it off her driving record?

forgot to mention that it was a camera ticket, was not a traffic stop.

Stan Glisson answered on Feb 13, 2018

She will have to contest the ticket. In most jurisdictions, she can sign an affidavit that she was not the driver and the ticket will be dismissed. Check the court's website, she may even be able to do that by mail without making a personal appearance. If you have questions, call the court clerk... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: If pulled over for moving violation in WA, can officers automatically order you out of vehicle w/out lawful grounds?

I read 2018 officers pocket manual and on pg 2-22 it states- "once you have made a legal stop of a vehicle for a traffic offense, you automatically have the authority to order the occupants to stay inside or to exit the vehicle"

Is this true?

Reason I ask is I was stopped for... Read more »

Emily Beschen answered on Jan 18, 2018

Assuming that you were stopped lawfully, and lawfully detained at the time, law enforcement can ask you to exit the vehicle.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: I thought I didn't have my registration on me but it turns out it was in my car the whole time, can I fight and win?

I just got the car in my name and my new plates weren't on yet

Stan Glisson answered on Jan 8, 2018

Some judges will dismiss if you show the registration. I would probably call the clerk's office at the court where the ticket is filed, and ask them what is common in that particular court. If it is a court that has a prosecutor in it, you can also call their office and ask what your options are.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: if your driving your vehicle and say pull off to a gas station park, take your keys out of the ignition and go in store

is it legal for an officer to drive up behind behind your parked vehicle turn their lights on come in the gas station and say they are arresting you for driving without a license in washington state?

Stan Glisson answered on Jan 2, 2018

It can be, if the officer has cause to believe she observed a crime being committed. Most often happens if the officer knows the driver and observes the driving; she can check the driver's license status from her car, and if the driver is suspended or revoked then sure, they can make that arrest.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: can there be a crimme without a victim?

Stan Glisson answered on Dec 26, 2017

Many crimes don't have a specific victim. Drug possession and DUI are quick examples.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Landlord - Tenant and Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: My leasing office towed my car from apartment parking. The reason was expired tabs. Is it legal?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 12, 2017

Look at your agreement. If it says residents can only park registered vehicles that means fully registered. It's a little persnickety of them but they can tow if they want.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: If I got pulled over for a speeding ticket. And I’m 18 will my mom find out?

Stan Glisson answered on Nov 16, 2017

No one from the court system will intentionally contact her, if that's what you mean.

If you pay the ticket (by going to the courthouse and paying in person), that's the end of the court case. It will appear on your driver's record though, so if you are on her insurance she might find out...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: If you cause an accident with no license and no insurance what kind of trouble could you be in?

If your at fault for a minor accident with no insurance and no license and only phone numbers were exchanged at the time of the accident what kind of legal action can be taken against You? The other party is saying there is alot of damage now what should I do?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 6, 2017

Pay the damage and get a full release of all claims. You could foul things up by not having insurance or a license in which case it's unlikely--but possible--your car could be impounded if you insist on driving it.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Washington on

Q: In park after closed. Wrong year of car written on ticket and statement. Can it be dismissed?

After hours was walking bike path which is allowed on city rcw after park hours was in car to leave police came got ticket never asked us why we were there. On ticket he wrote wrong year of the car also in his official statement. Can it be dropped for that reason. It's a jury trial officer is... Read more »

Stan Glisson answered on Oct 26, 2017

Why on earth are you doing a jury trial pro se? No, the errors on the citation aren't going to get you a dismissal. No, you do not NEED to subpoena the officer, unless you really want him to be there. I can't imagine the city can put on their case without him, so they will subpoena him.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: What is an average sentence for 3 warrants for traffic tickets that weren't paid if arrested?

Person was arrested yesterday and has 3 warrants for unpaid traffic tickets. Curious how long they may have to serve in jail. They also had their license suspended years ago so they were originally arrested for driving without a license.

Stan Glisson answered on Oct 26, 2017

I would have to have some more detail. Traffic "tickets" usually means infractions, like speeding. Warrants can't be issued on those though, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Unpaid infractions result in a suspension, and driving while suspended is a crime. If that is what you're dealing...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.