Palm Bay, FL asked in Family Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Florida

Q: I need to know if I have any options and should I move out of the house?

My grandfather got me an house to live in. I have paid the mortgage for over 7-10 years. My grandfather died and my father took over the house. He refinanced in his name. He was able to do that because his siblings signed over the rights only if the house remained mines. The mortgage on the house I live is now in my fathers name. I still continue to pay on the mortgage. There was no contract agreement. No legal terms. Each year nothing comes to me even if it was an excess on the escrow. I do not get to report this house on my taxes. I now have a boyfriend that he doesn’t want me dating and he has threatened to evict him but not me and my children. My boyfriend is not a bad person but he is a convicted felon who is employed and actively working daily. I’m a manager for a corporate financial institution. My children are also well taken care of.

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It looks like your father can, if he knows what he's doing, evict all of you, including your boyfriend. The two of you probably should start looking for a different place to live.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.