Detroit, MI asked in Contracts, Family Law and Constitutional Law for Michigan

Q: Do i have any right to sue dhhs for giving me false information and having me sign a fake contract?

Was told that me and my wife must get a divorce or that cps could be in our lives for up to 7 months and possible lose our kids. They had us both sign a contract say that we will not have any intimate relationship together but the contract can not be found.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can sue whomever you like. You're likely to be unsuccessful suing a state agency in this situation.

Look, however or why CPS got involved, it apparently has something to do with the two of you being together. To stave off a petition and possible termination of parental rights for one or both of you, they are asking - granted, it sounds and feels like a threat - that you legally get divorced. You don't have to. You could tell them to stick whatever they had you sign where the sun don't shine. But you know what will happen? They will likely filing a petition seeking termination of either or both of your parental rights - which is much different and far more damaging long term than simply divorcing and one parent having sole legal custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.