Whitsett, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: What do I do if my sons father wants to break our custody agreement and I have primary custody

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your options depend on whether you have a "custody agreement" or a "custody order." If you merely have a "custody agreement," it is likely not an order of the court, and you could not hold your husband in contempt of court if he acted contrary to the terms. On the other hand, if your husband violates a court order he can be held in contempt of court for his violation. In addition, merely expressing the desire to change things up isn't a violation - he actually has to act on it.

As always, you should consider consulting with a local family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.