Sicklerville, NJ asked in Divorce for New Jersey

Q: Ex husband moved to Phillipines to avoid paying alimony

He was facing jail time for a dui charge as well so he ran. He and his boss have ignored NEW Jersey Probation for a year now as well to avoid paying his alimony. Can his boss be held accountable for willfully ignoring the order for wage garnishment?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer PRO label
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: To get anything accomplished, you will need to retain an attorney licensed in the Philippines. I do not know, but I suspect that nothing will happen to him. Good luck.

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I presume that your former spouse's employment was / is in New Jersey and that your former husband still works for the company remotely. Presuming I am correct, then an order served upon the employer in New Jersey for garnishment is valid and must be honored. If the employer refuses to honor it, then you need to hire a lawyer and take legal action against the employer. This is not the type of application I would recommend be handled by you with a general practitioner or on your own. If you schedule a consultation with a family law specialist, make sure you bring with you specific proof that your ex still works for the company and that he is working remotely (and that the company has a NJ office location).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.