Mira Loma, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Hi there. My parents got offered PD, my question, can I apply for their green card once I obtain my citizenship?

My parents applied for asylum 9 years ago when we first came to the US. We came with visit visa and never left. I got married to a citizen and just got my green card. In three years I will be a citizen and my question is can I apply for my parents green card if they have PD? I need to learn if getting PD means they can't ever be a permanent resident or not. We live in California.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Roland Godfrey Ottley
Roland Godfrey Ottley pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: By PD, I presume you mean prosecutorial discretion. If so, you should be able to file for your parents once you become a USC.

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can sponsor your parents for green cards once you become a US citizen.

Please see https://www.shusterman.com/green-cards-for-parents/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.