Annapolis, MD asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: I have joint physical and legal custody of my 15year old! My child’s father moved out of the state

He changed his phone number and I have not heard from him in 18days! Our custody agreement states he is to provide a notice 90 days prior to moving! Just curious if I have grounds for emergency custody

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Emergency custody is if the child is in danger as in out of the country or actual blood on the floor. If the child is with the father, then you can file contempt if the child is not returned at the appropriate time. If the child is with you, then you can file to modify since the father seems to have decided he will not communicate with you to reach joint decisions about the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.