Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada

Q: Is the judge likely to rule based on the CPS report?

I have an existing child custody agreement but after my sons december visit to his dads he came home and told me he was sexually abused buy his father 4 times. I filed a motion to modify custody and filed a police report. The judge ordered a CPS investigation and has the findings. I was told by CPS to keep my son with me because of the nature of the crime but I am worried that I will be charged with contempt for this even tho im just trying to keep this from happening to my son again. My question is is the judge likely to rule based on the CPS report and what is the likelihood of me being held in contempt and what would a contempt charge mean for me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: You can file a Motion to Modify Custody and explain to the court why you kept your son and ask the court to change custody to you as dad is assaulting the child. However, you want to be sure the sexual assault has been substantiated or the court is unlikely to change custody without some other material change.

If CPS, the police, and/or the medical professionals found sexual assault then it is unlikely Court will order the child back to dad or contempt.

Normally withholding your child with a good reason will not get you contempt of court. The main sanction for contempt ( withholding with a good reason) would be make up time to the father if no sexual assault was found.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.