Cleveland, OH asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: My married was ended via dissolution. Agreed for wife to have the house. Now it's being sold. Do I get any of that mone?

I was under the impression that she was only living in the house while I moved out. It wouldn't make any sense for me to just give her the house and not get any return on the money I invested into it. Cuyahoga County. Ohio.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You might not be entitled to any payment. It depends on what terms were specified in your property separation agreement that was part of the dissolution, and if any equity or proceeds of sale were to be shared. Talk to the attorney who handled your dissolution. If you didn't have an attorney, then these kinds of things can happen, and can't be fixed later, but use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to review the separation agreement and decree, and advise you of your options, if any.

Raquel Ann Parish agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.