Brooklyn, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for Puerto Rico

Q: I rented an apt in Puerto Rico. The landlord assured me the place had been fumigated.

He assured me it was fumigated because I pointed out there were two empty one gallon jugs present at the viewing. Over the first two months the bugs were so thick I would awaken at night with bugs covering me. I stayed a total of ten days in two months complaining they needed to handle it. Can I get my money back. Also the power was so bad I couldn't run an ac unit or cook in the kitchen without blowing breakers. A month later they finally replaced the whole panel and put in ceiling lights. Yes they were missing as well and still don't work. The lights flicker in the kitchen to the point of darkness in the kitchen. The power is so bad I can't poo popcorn in the microwave

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Since laws vary by jurisdiction and the apartment is in Puerto Rico, you will need to direct your question to a board with attorneys admitted to practice in Puerto Rico instead of New York.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.