Dallas, TX asked in Family Law and Tax Law for Texas

Q: How do I go about getting custody papers changed regarding claiming all the children as dependents on taxes?

The other parent does not see the children as often if at all, mainly around holidays (compared to when the order was first established). child support is not consistent and there is a large amount of back pay owed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your current court orders address claiming the children as dependents on your tax return, you can file a Suit to Modify Parent-Child Relationship and request a change to that language. in a suit to modify, you must be able to explain to the Court that there has been a "material and substantial change" in the circumstances of the parties to warrant a modification. What those circumstances are depends on your specific situation.

Additionally, although language can be in a court order that directs who is able to claim children as dependents, federal tax law typically governs these situations. I would suggest that you speak with a Tax Accountant or Tax Attorney to discuss what your rights and/or options are in this situation.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.