Q: The defendant in my civil case admitted to a federal crime under oath during testimony. What can I do about that?

I filed a civil suit and during the trial after everyone was sworn in the defendant not only admitted to a federal crime but provided proof that he had possession of the counterfeit document, knowing it was a counterfeit document and submitted a photo copy of that document as evidence.

This is one of many things he has done and the judge did nothing.

Please help me!

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Mere possession of a counterfeit document is not necessarily a crime.

It's not really up to the judge to do anything. You could, if you want, report it to the federal authorities, and see if they want to prosecute.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.