Austin, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: I had a lawyer file everything, but I cannot afford them to be at the trial/pre-trial for visitation. What should I do?

I paid a lawyer company more than $8000 to represent me, but the mother keeps adding things into the case, like a mental health exam, 2-3 interrogatories, and discoveries, etc. The company charged me for each of these, and now I am just about broke. I cannot afford them to be at the pre-trial, or trial and I make too much for legal aide from the state. The mother has also counter-petitioned the court for me to never see my daughter and for me to pay child support, and her attorneys fees. This case has been going on for a year. I have been searching for an attorney who will take the case, but they all want huge amounts of money, and I dont know what to do when I go to court and its just me without any legal knowledge. I just want to see my daughter. I am not sure what to do...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Please do not give up on fighting for your daughter. Family law cases can be costly, so if there is any way you get the additional funds that you need to proceed with your current legal counsel, I would suggest you try. Also, maybe you can have a discussion with your current attorney and see if there is a way that you can streamline future legal fees (i.e. are there things that you can do yourself as opposed to your attorney doing it).

I hope that helps and good luck to you!!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.