Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Missouri

Q: Can I beat a non compete agreement, and is it harrasment if they get me fired from a new job and lie to unemployment?

I worked for an old-time photo studio in Branson, Mo. I was fired for going on family vacation, after I gave a 3-month notice. Two weeks before time to go I was told if I went, I would not have a job when I returned home. I had already payed for the house and pre-paid tickets costing over $2000. When I returned home I started putting in applications, I was hired by another company, managing an old-time photo studio. The company was also opening another studio. It was an amazing opportunity for me! About a week before the grand opening of the new studio, my old GM visited me. In front of my employees informed me I was in breach of contract. I had signed a non-compete agreement with them in order to work for their company. They contacted my current employer and had me fired. The company did not want to let me go, however had no choice, due to the non-compete. How is this legal?! There are no trade secretes that anyone getting photos done could not learn them self!

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You should hire an attorney to review the non-competition agreement and provide you with his or her opinion of its enforceability. I have no opinion on whether it is enforceable, but the answer to your question, if you are asking how the new company could terminate your employment, lies with the doctrine of employment at will. As to the original employer, if you wish to pursue some sort of claim for tortious interference of contract, you have an uphill battle given that the original employer was merely trying to enforce its contract that you entered. Again, I'm not opining on whether a court would enforce or narrow the contract that you entered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.